I took one ball of red and one of black to Peru with associated needles. This is the second of three hats I made with them. This hat was made with Belted Stripes, pg 64 and Close Stitch, pg 94.I cast on 108 and did Close Stitch for 1 1/2 inches. I then switched to Belted Stripes and did 4 repeats. I decided to decrease in the black parts because then I could keep the integrity of the pattern as much as possible. The pattern has 9 garter stitch in red with 3 slipped stitches between. I decreased to 6 garter stitch with 3 ss between, then 4 garter stitch with 2 ss between, then 2 garter stitch with 1ss between. At this point I kept the same number of stitches until I could do a roll at the top., then decreased for the center of the top. I turned it inside out and sewed the roll in place.
I found that it was a bit too big, so I hemmed up the Close Stitch in half
Okay, I am not a knitter but I applaud your project and love seeing the pictures of the hats. I really wanted to say I enjoyed all the pictures from your Peru trip. Thanks!
Thanks Heather. Peru was great. Highly recommend it to anyone.