I am having a bit of a crisis about THE PROJECT these days. After having spent most of the last year knitting like crazy from a 50 year old book, and having filled up 3 extra large Ziploc Space bags (the kind you suck the air out of with a vacuum) with hats, I begin to wonder WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING??? Is this just stupid? I guess if I wasn’t doing this I would be knitting something else anyway, so for now, I guess I will soldier on. 190 pattern stitches down, 354 to go…are you kidding me…seriously, this is stupid.
I felt I had to get rid of the Tulip Pattern, pg 25 because I kept thinking ugh! every time I looked at it. I did garter stitch instead of stockinette in the below and above rows of the pattern, but I feel these are just to sides of the same coin anyway. I used 99 stitches for this, then increased to 112 for the Navajo Basket, pg 75. I went back down to 104 for the Chevron, pg 26 because, being a simple knit/purl combination, it takes in much less than the colour work. I did a repeat of the Chevron pattern, then decreased to 88 for another go at the Navajo Basket.
At this point, I noticed that the Chevron wanted to collapse on itself. I had been planning to do stair steps with the Navajo Basket on the top, but I thought…lets go with this and I did another two folds, decreasing 16 stitches every time I changed patterns. I have accordianed the hat out a bit below so you can see the structure a little better.