Category Archives: felting

knitted felted items

Elegant fireworks…New Years edition

New Years hat

New Years hat

I have FINALLY finished the three balls of eyelash yarn.  This will be the last hat in the series.  The concept is that it is f…g cold for outdoor activities on New Years Eve.  This would provide a warm alternative to the traditional party hat.  I am working on another of these party hats,  which I will post before New Years.

For this hat, I knitted the eyelash yarn first with the same wavy stitch I used for the frilly hat with lots of colours.  I knitted one repeat with orange, then blue, red, blue and orange.  I then joined the white Patons Classic Wool and increased the number of stitches by 50% (from 90 to 135).  I reversed the direction of the knitting as I joined in the white then knit up in behind until I had about one and a half times as much length in the white as I had in the eyelash.  I then joined the cast on edge in from the front (I went through the cast on eyelash stitch, then the white in behind).  I picked up two eyelash stitches for every three white.

I knit the rest in white.  I decreased 10 stitches every 7 rows until I had 50 stitches, then 5 stitches every three rows until I had only a few stitches left, then I pulled my yarn through.  I put the whole thing through the washer and dryer.  It wasn’t felted enough so I put it through the washer again and let it air dry.  I made the topper with a combination of knitting and crochet.

Merry Christmas!

Heather as Santa

Heather as Santa

This is one of only two Christmas hats I made this year.  I will post the other one tomorrow (when it is hopefully finished!).

This hat was knitted and then put through the washer and dryer twice.  The brim and bobble were made with a machine washable and dryable yarn.  I made a rolled rim, then switched to Patons Classic wool and increased the number of stitches significantly.  I decreased evenly up the hat, loosing 10 stitches every 10 rows.  As I approached the top, I started decreasing less per row, more frequently so I didn’t have large jogs.

Lest we Forget

Remembtance Day hat, felted version

Remembtance Day hat, felted version

I had the idea for this Remembrance Day hat a couple of weeks ago.  it was supposed to be a felted version of a twenties cloche with a crocheted poppy.  I think I have discovered on Halloween and today why knitted felting was a short lived fad.  Firstly a felted hat has at least 50% more stitches in it than a regular hat because of the shrinkage.  Secondly, the washing machine turns into a real crapshoot.

Remembrance Day hat, unfelted version

Remembrance Day hat, unfelted version

unfelted version, top view

unfelted version, top view

I spent the last couple of days off and on knitting the felted hat.  I mapped it out on paper and used the (newly recovered) tension square that I had made and lost for the witches hat on Halloween to calculate the stitches. I knitted and knitted, and then put it in the washer and dryer.  I got a pattern for the crocheted poppy from Treasures in Needlework by Mrs Warren and Mrs Pullan, 1870, and threw it in the laundry with the hat.  This morning I got them out and found what I thought was a shapless, unusable mess.

I then set about spending today knitting the second (unfelted) hat and making a scaled down crocheted poppy from my head.  Now I am not sure which one is better.

Happy Halloween

Heather's Jack-o-lantern

Heather’s Jack-o-lantern

Alan and Heather got the last pumpkin in the store yesterday.  It was a huge pumpkin for $3.99, but it was a bit moldy inside….can’t have everything and the Jack-o-lantern only has to last a couple of hours anyway.   Heather carved it a dusk and I think it looks great.

A while ago I was saying to Heather that I would like to do a Santa hat nearer to Christmas.  I got ‘MUM, Santa hats are NOT knitted, you might as well make a witches hat too!’.  Of course, this made the idea of a felted witches hat pop into my head.

...before felting

…before felting

I was making the witches hat till the last minute.  It still needs some work to make the brim stay up, and I will decorate it a bit more.  It is, however sort of the right size and shape, so that part is good.  The washing machine ate my tension square.  I made one.  Honest. We looked all through the laundry last weekend and it had disappeared without a trace.  I looked up what people said the shrinkage was for Patons Classic Wool then did the math and went for it.  Here are the before and after pictures.  Included in the picture is another hat that Heather calls ‘Penquin in a Hoop Skirt’.  I should have followed my own advice and ripped it out when I noticed I had put and extra stitch in the ghost’s belly, but the intarsia was causing me grief and I didn’t want to redo it.

Penquin in a Hoop Skirt and the Witches hat

Penquin in a Hoop Skirt and the Witches hat

So, to sum up, a bare pass and an epic fail….