Tag Archives: New Years Eve

Happy New Year and welcome to the Sesquicentennial, Barbara

Happy New Year 2017!!!

Happy New Year 2017!!!

This is my only New Year’s hat this year. I had plans for another one but they got way too complicated to finish it in time, so I will do it in less garish colours at my leisure. Suffice to say it will have at least 7 stitches in it, so the planning takes time.
Sesquicentennial logoI wonder if I will still love the word Sesquicentennial after living in the nation’s capital this coming year. Maybe. I still remember the national excitement of the Centennial as a child. Expo 67 and all that. All my childhood I collected Centennial coins like some people collect 4 leaf clovers. Now my aqua fitness classes are mostly held in ageing pools built with Centennial grants 50 years ago. Some of them could use a facelift with Sesquicentennial money. Justin??

For the knitters: I cast on 100 stitches for the rainbow band. I actually screwed it up and had to cast off after the purple because my rainbow was upside down. I picked up from the original cast on edge with the blue and increased to 108 for the patterning, so I had 6 repeats each of “Opening” Double Cable and Slipped Chain Cable, both from pg 113. I ended at the top by decreasing by 4 cables three times (every third cable, then every other cable, then the last 3). I used sl 1, k2tog, psso 3 times in the middle of the cable then p3tog and p2 tog above the cable to get rid of the 9 stitches. I topped it with I cord arches, then curlicues of the complementary colours which I threaded back down the arches and finished with a set of standing up i cord spikes. It was really fun. I personally love this hat, and I don’t say that about every hat I make by any stretch.

Party hat number two

New Years Party

New Years hat with Bernat Truffles and Patons Classic Wool

This is the second of (hopefully by tomorrow) three felted New Years party hats.

For this one I used Patons Classic Wool as the felting yarn and I combined it with Bernat Truffles as the accent.  I decreased more aggressively (10 stitches every 6 rows all the way up) on this hat than the one yesterday and I don’t think it was such a great idea.

I am going back to a less aggressive decrease for tomorrows hat.

Elegant fireworks…New Years edition

New Years hat

New Years hat

I have FINALLY finished the three balls of eyelash yarn.  This will be the last hat in the series.  The concept is that it is f…g cold for outdoor activities on New Years Eve.  This would provide a warm alternative to the traditional party hat.  I am working on another of these party hats,  which I will post before New Years.

For this hat, I knitted the eyelash yarn first with the same wavy stitch I used for the frilly hat with lots of colours.  I knitted one repeat with orange, then blue, red, blue and orange.  I then joined the white Patons Classic Wool and increased the number of stitches by 50% (from 90 to 135).  I reversed the direction of the knitting as I joined in the white then knit up in behind until I had about one and a half times as much length in the white as I had in the eyelash.  I then joined the cast on edge in from the front (I went through the cast on eyelash stitch, then the white in behind).  I picked up two eyelash stitches for every three white.

I knit the rest in white.  I decreased 10 stitches every 7 rows until I had 50 stitches, then 5 stitches every three rows until I had only a few stitches left, then I pulled my yarn through.  I put the whole thing through the washer and dryer.  It wasn’t felted enough so I put it through the washer again and let it air dry.  I made the topper with a combination of knitting and crochet.